5 Steps To Help Secure Your Business Computers and Servers
May 21st, 2012No Comments
- Install a firewall: A firewall monitors all incoming and outgoing traffic on your computer using a set of rules. Information can be blocked that doesn’t conform with these rules. There are hardware firewalls which can be built into a computer or router; and software firewalls which can be installed on a computer.
- Install anti-virus and anti-spyware software: Once you have installed this software, make sure it is always turned on and renew your software to keep up to date with the latest threats. For more information on anti-virus software check out this page.
- Scan USB sticks: This is especially important with USBs that come from an unfamiliar or untrustworthy source. It is also a good idea to turn off the autorun function commonly enabled on the Microsoft Windows operating system.
- Develop a Password Procedure: This involves ensuring your staff avoid easy to guess passwords. They should also memorise their passwords, use completely new passwords every time they are changed, never share passwords and never send passwords by email.
- Secure your wireless network: Ensure that wireless access is secured with encryption. This is a whole blog entry in itself so visit here to find out more.